What does flood insurance cover

Texas has seen some major flooding over the years, and there is no end in sight. With the weather getting warmer and hurricanes becoming more frequent, chances are floods will be a part of life for many areas. If you think you are covered for flooding with your home insurance, you will be in for quite a shock if you try to file a claim. Home insurance excludes floods. For information on flood insurance, you can count on Insurance Solutions of Texas in Sugar Land, TX. We have been helping clients find the right since 1993. 

FEMA provides flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program. You can purchase it directly from them or through one of the 60 or so approved agencies. To get flood insurance through NFIP, you must live in one of the 23,000 communities participating in their program. That is not to say that you couldn’t get some flood insurance but not through the NFIP. 

NFIP flood insurance is sold in two parts. One is building, and one is contents. You may purchase one or both parts. The building part maxes out at $250,000 and contents at $100,000. Not everything will be covered, but there is excellent coverage. 

The building policy covers the physical structure. It also covers the foundation. All major systems in the house are included, even electrical, plumbing, heating, and cooling. It will replace a furnace, water heater, and central air conditioning unit. It covers permanent floor covering and built-in bookcases. In the kitchen, the cabinets and the built in appliances are included. 

Contents cover the furnishings, decor, small appliances, portable air conditioning units, washer and dryer, clothing, electronics, and toys. 

To find out more about flood insurance, contact Insurance Solutions of Texas in Sugar Land, TX.